Saturday, February 5, 2011

Saturday, with a moment to breathe!

Happy Saturday All!!

Its been a long week.  Well, not as long as usual because we had another snow day.  It was definitely busy, productive and fulfilling!

I designed my official © Karin Goodwin Photography LOGO!!

whenever you see this! You know who to thank!


I'm sure I've mentioned over and over that we are currently working on our Phase 3 Portfolio which is a big deal.  Its hard to explain how important it is, because technically its just another semester. BUT!! its the last one before we hand in our final graduation portfolio.  Its graded, we have a big meeting. Its a big deal!!

This week, I was working on a couple assignments.  I have been trying to get my commercial studio stuff done, because that is where I tend to struggle the most so I want to make sure i have plenty of time on it.  This week I shot my glassware.  Now, i dont have my final picture available for post just yet, but I do have another one that i LOVE!


I had these beautiful flowers that I was determined to incorporate into my glassware shot.  I didn't want these pictures to be boring. I mean, even though the focus was glass, I had to spice it up just a little.  Now this isn't my final shot. In fact, but final shot has a completely different piece of glassware in it. Its different and stands out and I like it!  (when we hand in all our shots, i'll post my portfolio on here)

I was sure exactly what I was going to shoot, so I had a few different glassware objects and flowers.  I played around with light and positioning and well.. the next shot I have, I LOVE.  I dont have use for it right now in any of my assignments.. but i took it for me. 


To top off this week, we had another guest speaker, Bill Diodato.  The gallery at Hallmark opened his show this week with photographs from his project "Care of Ward 81" Its a beautiful piece, in fact, I bought the book and Bill signed it with a personal message. He went to Oregon State Hospital where they have this ward that has been closed off for years. It used to be a women's psychiatric hospital.  It was very sad.  They weren't all treated properly and no one really seems to want to talk about it or tell stories.  Bill was the last photographer that was allowed in and then they bulldozed the building.  He had a hard time getting into the building and was only allowed a certain amount of time in and only at certain times, with guards. Very weird.  However, what he came out with was just beautiful. Sorta creepy, mysterious with this silence about them.  After he spoke to us at school, we had the gallery open Friday night and then we went back for an "artist talk" at the school to hear more about his project and for questions.  Bill's two children came with him and they were just the cutest.  

Another project for school that has to be done is our PR shots. They are THE WORST!!! It's someone in their business dress photographed head and shoulders.  SOO BORING.  But we HAVE to do it for our final.  The upside to this, is that after we do our PR shot, we have to do an "alternative" something that is completely different that shows off the person and who they are.  Andrew, my amazing boyfriend, busted out his suite and got all dressed up for me and allowed me to torture him and take picture after picture to get it just right.  (Hallmark is CRAZY about the PR shot, very particular)  The shot itself is boring, but the shot i took of him for the alternative, I LOVE. 

 I LOVE the light on this.  I was completely just experimenting when I took this.  I set up my lights the way I wanted them and then i put an orange gel on the light I had shining directly on him.  I think it looks great with the shirt he is wearing. Plus... Its Andrew.  Its quiet and handsome and spunky with the light.  It works.  :)  I do have to thank Andrew out loud and in public for all of the 2 people that read this blog.  (him being one of them) He really helps me out while I'm at school and is a TROOPER.  He basically lets me take pictures of him all the time, whether its just practicing or for assignment.  Thank you Love. <33

This weekend isn't over yet.  So far I've been to school more this week than I've been at my apartment.  I left school last night at 10:30? i think.  I was back at 11am this morning.  Which is fine.  I was sitting at my apartment on the couch and couldn't relax.  I couldn't just sit, knowing I had so much stuff to do.

I'm headed back tomorrow too! I'm actually really looking forward to tomorrow.  A little girl, that i used to BABYSIT for (am I getting old? ). Anyway.. Megan is coming up to school, to model for me.  She is beautiful and I have an assignment for a Hi-Key in studio portrait. Which basically means white background and light clothing. I have this beautiful Pinkish fabric that shimmers. I'm going to use that somehow.  I'm really looking forward to experimenting in studio and taking awesome pictures.  (pictures to come, i promise)

I guess I should have tried to get a blog out during the week cause this is a LONG one!!!

Tonight i REALLY need to start my business career plan.  I've been thinking about this so much and I seem like such a slacker for not starting it. But honestly I've been thinking, I just have no idea what to start with.  I've got some better ideas tonight though, so... I guess I'll just start!

Anywho, thats it for tonight.. more pictures soon!

*LOVE*

No comments:

Post a Comment