Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Sad Goodbye

Unfortunately today's Blog isn't the happiest blog, but I wanted to write this...

I have a friend.. his name is Glen.  19 months ago he was diagnosed with lymphoma and well, although he fought a good hard fight, he lost the battle yesterday morning. :(  I'm am grateful for 3 things.  

one. Glen is no longer in pain.
two. Glen had dreams to travel  and see everything and he accomplished that.
three. Glen was my manager, a pain in my ass and he was my Friend.



I met Glen when I worked at Barnes and Noble. He was the easy going, not a care in the world kinda guy. As my time at BN continued, he ended up becoming my manager.  He stayed the "not a care in the world, easy going guy" which made for a pretty awesome manager.  

Outside of BN was where all the fun was really had.  I went with Glen when he went Sky Diving for the first time.  That was a trip.  I too was supposed to go, but everything seemed to go wrong every time I was supposed to go, (i took that as a sign to stay on the ground)  

The first and only time I've ever been to a Goth club.. (glens fault) We actually had a really good time. So.. Thanks for that Glen.  :)  


We would have dinner dates.. and i was always the awkward third wheel. Glen, Andrew and Myself enjoyed the Olive Garden.. But then again, who doesn't?  We did venture out once or twice to a new restaurant, but we always ended up going back to Olive Garden.  I think it was the breadsticks. 

A few times we would go out just to let loose and have fun.  I guess our "group" was good at that.  A good night was when we went a really shady bar/restaurant in my home town.  By the end of the night, if i'm not mistaken.. Glen was doing cartwheels in the street. It was also the night a man hit on my boyfriend and as he rubbed his lower back.. asked if he had ever kissed a man.  andrew was SO uncomfortable, I thought it was Great. 




We had a lot of fun times, some great talks, and our fair share of fights as well. One of my favorite nights, was May 23rd, 2 years ago.  My friend Holly and I basically share a birthday.  Her birthday is May 22 and mine is May 24th, So we celebrated on May 23rd.  For our birthday, we went on a road trip.  We BLASTED BackStreet Boys and bought Taco Bell and drove around the state of CT.  We somehow ended up at Glen's parents where he was house sitting and chillen' with his boy Peewee.  Peewee is a cute little dog who runs the show! It turned out to be a pretty great night.  We stayed and chatted and pet Peewee for a few hours. Best Birthday Ever. 

So Yesterday when I received the phone call... Even though we were expecting it, It was still very hard to hear.  I"m grateful that Glen is in a better place now and that he is no longer in pain.  I'm also pretty confident that he is munching on Olive Garden Breadsticks... routing for the Dolphins... blasting some Tori Amos way up above and kicking ass at Apples to Apples all while continuing to rock that ridiculous cowboy hat. 

Life is too short, If it isn't apparent now, then you just aren't going to figure that out.  I try to live my life to the fullest.  I was unhappy with where I was in my life and I up and quite my job and went back to school to do what it is I love.  When i first started going towards my love of photography I had printed a book of Pictures that I'd taken and brought it to see Glen in the Hospital.. during his first rounds of Chemo.  He encouraged me to go forward and do what I love.. I only wish I could continue to share my love and growth with him, but i know he is up there.. watching down on all of us.  When I trip or walk into a wall.. I know he will be up there.. laughing. *You are welcome Glen*  :)

So, with all this reflection of life going on here in my head, I still had to go to school.  I worked on a project today for my final portfolio but I also took a picture for myself.  Its nothing spectacular or wonderful.. but its some of the things that I love.. that meshed into a picture.  Its things I enjoy, cherish and that represent me.  




I apologize for this rather depressing blog, But sometimes life takes you down roads you never wanted to travel down.  I just needed to share my feelings, give a shout out to my boy Glenny and also share the picture that was inspired by all of this love and sadness that is inside my heart.  so with this I say, call someone that you love today just to say I love you.  Give someone a hug.  Take a picture.  Do whatever is in you. But enjoy life, its precious, wild, and its WAY too short.  




Love You Glen, We miss you <3

1 comment:

  1. Karin, I've been trying to put into words how I've been feeling since yesterday and couldn't. You did it for me. We are so blessed to have known Glen. I hope that you truly take in what he said about following your dream... you are such an amazing person and so talented. You deserve everything that makes you happy. And I hope that we can both remember all that Glen has taught us about living life each day and experiencing everything we can. <3

    ReplyDelete